Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Friend in A Time of Grief

In the last six months, I have opened myself up to the possibility of new friends.  I have made several new friends through this meetup book club I started attending last September.  What I didn't know at the time, was that opening myself to this possibility would save me later on.

My family in Texas often talk about Shirley.  Shirley loves my folks, and does a lot for them.  She and her family live here in Temple where my parents live.  Her husband, Kenny, and my brother, Kade, are good friends.  I have met Shirley a couple of times, but I never felt a connection with her.  But this last week, I think because I have opened myself to the possibility of new friends, she has worked her way into my heart.  She has sat with us in the waiting room.  She brought me a new hoodie with more color than my borrowed one!  She cleaned Mom's kitchen and cleaned out the freezer, bought me coffee and stevia, and is open to anything at all.  She even likes to shop at Goodwill!!!!  More importantly, I have found someone with a similar belief system as myself.  When I come home to Texas, I am coming into a totally different culture than what I live in NC.  So I usually feel quite alone here.  Not anymore.  It has been such a relief to find someone who has similar feelings about the things that mean a lot to me.  Don't get me wrong, my family is tolerant of me and my liberal beliefs...but just tolerant!  I think they mostly think it is funny.  So, here I am in the midst of this horrific time with my mom, and I make a friend.  A friend I can talk to, a friend I can call, a friend who can just sit with me.  What a gift.  Thank you, Shirley, for the gift of your friendship.  It is the greatest gift I could receive at this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment